Who are exempted to take the Civil Service Exam?

Who are exempted to take the Civil Service Exam in the Philippines? You can acquire civil service eligibility even without taking the CS exam if you are on the following lists.

A lot of readers have been asking this question, so I decided to make a post about it and include here the list of exempted Civil Service exam takers.

According to the Civil Service Commission, there are eight different eligibility under special laws. You may not need to take the CS exam anymore if you have been granted any of the following entitlements:

Note that some categories are not the same or equivalent as the Professional and Sub-professional eligibility. Also, note that different eligibility has appropriate government position levels because every specific job in the government has different eligibility requirements.

exempted in civil service exam philippines

The Following are Exempted to Take the Civil Service Exam in the Philippines

Bar and Board Exam passers:

  • Bar Exam Passers – if you passed the Bar exam conducted by the Supreme Court
  • Board Exam – if you passed the board exam or licensure exam given by the PRC

Under this list, you should be required for appointment to positions practicing your profession, have completion of bachelor’s degree and have professional license. Read more at RA 1080.

Honor Graduates:

Under PD No. 907, these are college honor graduates such as:

  • Summa cum laude
  • Magna cum laude
  • Cum laude

Electronic Data Processing Specialists:

Under CSC resolution 90-083, these are those who passed the proficiency test or training course given by the National Computer Center for Computer Programming, System Analysis and Design, Java, MS Access and Visual Basic.

This eligibility is suitable for computer related job positions in the government such as IT/Management Information System Group,Data Encoder, Data Machine Operator, Auxiliary Machine Operator, Data Encoder-Controller, Computer Programmer, Information Systems Analyst, and to other positions determined by the CSC.

Scientific and Technological Specialists:

Under PD 997, these are persons with highly technical education recognized by CHED with specializations in any of the following scientific and mathematical fields:

  1. Natural Sciences
    • Astronomy
    • Astrophysics
    • Biological Sciences
    • Biology (S & T)
    • Microbiology
    • Botany
    • Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
    • Ecology
    • Physical Anthropology
    • Marine Biology
    • Zoology
    • Geological Sciences
    • Archeology
    • Geophysics
    • Paleontology
    • Seismology
    • Meteorology
    • Oceanography
    • `Physics/Applied Physics
  2. Engineering Sciences
    • Biological Engineering
    • Manufacturing Engineering
    • Ceramic Engineering
    • Materials Engineering
    • Computer Engineering
    • Mechatronics Engineering
    • Food Engineering
    • Petroleum Engineering
    • Geothermal Engineering
    • Railway Engineering
    • Industrial Engineering
    • Textile Engineering
    • Nuclear Engineering
  3. Mathematics and Information and Communication Technology
    • Applied Mathematics
    • Computer Science
    • Information Technology
    • Pure Mathematics
    • Statistics
  4. Other Disciplines
    • Environmental Science
    • Food Science

Skills Eligibility – Categories I & II:

Under CSC MC 11, section 1996, as amended, these people may be granted skills eligibility:

Note that skills eligibility are not equivalent/comparable to Career Service Sub-Professional and Sub-Professional eligibility.

  • Category I includes TESDA skills test passers
  • Category II includes completion of 1 year very satisfactory actual work performance under temporary status of appointment

Veteran Preference Rating:

Under Executive Order 790, 10 points may be added to the failed exam of a veteran, or his/her spouse, or any of their children. Failed exam such as:

  • Career Service Professional or Sub-professional
  • Fire Officer
  • Penology Officer

Barangay Officials:

Under RA No. 7160, this includes:

  • Elective Barangay Officials: Barangay Captain, regular Sangguniang Barangay Members, and Sangguniang Kabataan Chairmen
  • Appointive Barangay Officials: Barangay Treasurers, and Barangay Secretaries who were appointed by the duly elected Punong Barangay.

These persons must be considered suitable for appointment to first level positions in the career service including those in the Fire and Jail Bureaus, except positions determined by the Commission.

Barangay Health Workers Eligibility:

Under RA 7883, these people are local health workers of the barangay and has completed at least 2 years of college degree and 5 years of continuous and satisfactory service as an accredited BHW. The BWH is suitable for first level positions in the government service except for categories classified by the Commission.

Barangay Nutrition Scholars:

Under PD 1569, this is granted for barangay-based volunteer workers who have at least 2 years of continuous satisfactory nutrition services and related activities required by the commission.

This is suitable for first level first level eligibility and may be considered for appointment to positions which do not require written examination, provided the appointee meets the education, training, experience, and other requirements of the position.

In order to have the certificate of eligibility, you must file your application to claim it at the CSC office by submitting the requirements.

By 1taker

1taker is an online platform that shares exam reviewers online for free. We are a group of authors passionate about web content and business growth.


  1. Ayon po dito Information technology is exempted sa civil service exam? tama po ba? so pwede ako mag apply sa government agency? employed po ako pagcor 11 years na din

  2. hi good day ! pwd pu ba magamit yong sub prof para sa pag apply sa bfp?? please reply me..

    1. Good Day po. Gagraduate po ng Bachelor of Secondary Education major in Industrial Arts ,nalilito po ako kung anong kukunin kong exam kung LET or CSC . dko po alam sa self ko kung magteteacher ako or hindi . Which is better po? Response po please.

      1. Hello po mas better take your board exam as a teacher dahil once nakapasa ka pareho ang level ng PRC sa 2nd eligibility ng CSE . If you pass exempted kana magtake ng CS.

  3. Tanong ko lng poh na if nakapasa poh ng csc exam pero above 35 n poh may posibilidad p rin poh bang makakuha ng permanenteng position sa gobyerno? Thanks

  4. Good Morning,
    I’m a graduate of Bachelor’s of Science in Mathematics Major in Computer Science . Need ko pa po ba mag take ng CSExam or exempted na po ako at pwede na makuha ung certificate of eligiblity? Ask lang po

    Sana my sumagot Thank you po 🙂

  5. Admin Hi po, Graduate po ako ng Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (BSIT), naging Brgy. Secretary po ako from December 2013 until Present (March 2018). So i applied for BOE-Brgy Officials Eligibility, luckily CSC Region 8 said approved na daw Certificate ko may 1st level/sub-proof eligibility na daw ako na makukuha this April 2018. Meron din akong TESDA Nat’l Certificate sa Computer Systems Servicing (CSS) NCII “formerly CHS”. Ang tanong ko po ay saan sa tatlo na yan ang gagamitin ko, at puros lang yan 1st level eligibility ang ma grant sa akin? Please enlighten me po..Salamat sa Sasagut. Goodbless to all 😉

  6. OIC-NW passer po ako, pwede ba ako maka kuha ng elligibility?.. PRC po dati tong license namin para 3rd mate sa barko, ngayon MARINA na ang may hawak. under DOTr po ang MARINA. thanks po

  7. Tanong ku lang Nag Sk puh ako year 2010 to 2013 pwd ku paba magamit bilang isang eligibility kahit 8 years ago na…. mag grad palang pu ako this coming April.. thank you!

  8. tanong ko lang po kung need ko pa po mag take ng civil service exam? dati po kase ako 3rd sk kagawad sa brgy. namin …kami po yung last batch nung 2014.

    thanks po

  9. Good day po!

    NLE (Nursing Licensure Exam) passer po ako last 2010 and may balak po ako kumuha ng civil service exam. Alam ko po na exempted na kami. Pero may certificate of eligibility po ba kami na pwede makuha sa civil service commission? Nais ko po kasi kumuha ng exam sa kadahilanang baka di ko na marenew by 2020 ang license ko dahil sa CPD units. Kaya nagbabakasakali po ako na kumuha ng civil service exam. Sana po masagot nyo po ang katanungan ko. Maraming salamat po.

  10. Hi , Good Evening I am Rey J. Suycano…. Tanong ko lang po … Do I really need to get my Certificate in CSC even I’m a Honor Graduates from University?

    Or not ?

  11. Pwede ba mag apply ang isang let passer sa any administrative position sa gobyerno? Hindi na ba kailangan magtake ng csc exam? thank you for the response. Salamat.

      1. Hi!
        I have already my honor graduate eligibility certificate but i still want to take the civil service exam,

        Will it affect my honor graduate eligibility if ever i will not pass the CSE exam?


      2. Kung ang LET Passers po ay equivalent to CSC Professional, so magiging dalawa ang kanyang eligibility?

  12. Hi Graduated po ako ng BSIT. Microsoft Certified po ako ng Networking at Database Fundamental. Kailangan ko pa po bang mag take ng Civil Service? Salamat po

    1. 10 yrs in government.. Qualified NBA ako not to take civil service.. And continue to work in other government compant

      1. As long as you are not asking for a regular position in the Gov’t then you’ll be fine even without CS Eligibility

  13. Hi Sir/ Madam, graduate po ako ng B.S. Environmental Science and had acquired 5 years experience in Rehabilitation/ Reforestation program of a mining company. I would like to ask if in-titled/ qualified ba ako sa CSC Exam Exemptions? Thanks po!

  14. Good eve mam! I am a computer engineering graduate and currently working as job order in a gov’t agency. How to avail po the certificate of eligibility kc nabasa ko po na exempted din ang grafuate ng computer enginering course sa pag take ng cs exam. Thank u po.

        1. For inquiries regarding eligibility, please refer to the Examination, Recruitment and Placement Office of the CSC Central Office Tel. # 951-2578; 931-8163
          Fax # 931-4138)

  15. ask ko lng po.I am a day care worker in our barangay for 3 yrs.wala po bang prebeligiyo ang isang day care worker na magiging isang sub professional katulad ng mga barangay officials,bhw at bns.salamat po…..

  16. Good afternoon po….
    I’m a Barangay Record Keeper in our Barangay from 2007 up to present…My work is related to Barangay Treasurer…Am I also Exempted in taking Civil Service Exam?
    Hoping for your favorable reply….

  17. LET passer po ako..pede po ba ako makahingi ng license or i.d from CSC? pls reply..tnx po..

  18. Good day po sa inyo I am Rommel P Dedal a graduate of batchelor of Science in Commerce (accounting major) a napolcom passer and a retired Military Officer of the Philippine Army with the former rank of Lt. Colonel exempted po ba ako sa civil service examination tnx

  19. Tanong ko lang kung NC ii passer ka sa nursing attendant pwede ba yan ma convert to sub prof’

    thank you so muc

    1. good day…I am rex, a 1 year computer operator of the government then a 4 years graduate of BS computer science…exempted ba ako sa cs elegibility?

  20. Gud pm po I just want to ask.board passer na po ako ng midwifery 2 yrs. Ngayon 4th yr na po ako sa bachelor of science in midwifery.maging second level na ba po ang aking license? Magagamit ko po ba ito sa ibang position sa goberno not related in health positions.

  21. Hello Good day! Can I ask po kung pwede bang magtake ng Prof ang 2 years graduate ng Computer Secretarial?
    Nakadalawang take na po ako ng Sub-Prof hindi parin nakakapasa. Tapos kung pwede po bang makahingi ng civil service reviewer ng Prof kung pinapayagan nyo po ako sa Prof kung hindi naman po sa Sub-Prof reviewer nalang po. Salamat at Godbless po!

  22. Gandang gabi po isa pu ako sa naging BNS (BARANGAY NUTRITION SCHOLAR)SA aming baranggay almost 3 yrs sa service. BNS Volunteer .. TANUNG ko lang pu pwede kaya ito magamit ko pag apply as sub-prof.? Anu kaya pu ang possible na requirements? Thank you so much po.

  23. hello!, I have taken the civil service professional level in region 10 last 06 april 2016 and passed however I didn’t applied for my certificate of eligibility since then. Can I still get my certificate of eligibility now? and also I am now relocated here in region 7.

  24. hi when i took my first degree i was a cumlaude graduate but on my second course i wasnt able to get any honors. can I still get the exemption po ba? thank you po in advancve looking forward na mabasa mo po to.

    1. Under Civil Service Commission, there are 8 different eligibility under special laws – and PD No. 907, these are college honor graduates such as: Summa cum laude
      Magna cum laude
      Cum laude

      Any questions.. You can inquire directly to the CSC Main office..


      Tel. # 931-7913; 931-8187
      Fax # 931-7997


      Director IV FERNANDO M. PORIO


      Tel. # 951-2578; 931-8163
      Fax # 931-4138

  25. Hi, good day, ask ko lang po kung magtatake ako ng exam sa civil service eh pwede po b akong magtake ng Licensure examination sa PRC?

    1. Yes you can still take the PRC Licensure Exam on you chosen college course. even you are already pass the Civil Service Exam..

  26. Good day! Tanong ko lang po,…graduate po ako ng BSEd course and currently I am a Barangay Treasurer for almost 3 years now, am I am qualified for the eligibility?
    God Bless

  27. I just want to ask lang po if ang graduate ka with honors but not cumlaude eh exempted sa exam , what i mean is ist honorable mention po. thanks

  28. hi im Rolando L. Wanan dati po ako Nutrition Scholar sa aming barangay ano po ang mga requirement para makuha ko ang certificate of eligibilty ko

  29. Hello po, ask ko lang graduate ako ng B.S Accountancy and nagwowork ako as accounting supervisor, may TESDA Bookkeeping NC iii ako., do i still need to take Civil Service exam pra mkapag work sa government on I’m already eligible?

  30. Hellow po.. High school graduate lang po ako at ngayon ay nagtatrabaho s munisipyo nmin my nkuha po ako items as Farm Worker II under Department of Agriculture sabi nila permanent position yung items ko n yun, khit po d n ko mag exam mapepermanent po ako?

  31. hello. IT instructor ako for 6 years. graduate din ako ng Master in Information Technology. exempted po ba ako sa pagtake ng cs exam?

    1. Yes, under PD 997. You may contact the Civil Service Commission on how you can get your eligibility under the said law.

  32. Skills Eligibility – categories I & II:

    Under CSC MC 11, section 1996, as amended, these people may be granted skills eligibility:

    Note that skills eligibility are not equivalent/comparable to Career Service Sub-Professional and Sub-Professional eligibility.

    Category I includes TESDA skills test passers
    Category II includes completion of 1 year very satisfactory actual work performance under temporary status of appointment
    Hello Po! ask q lng if pwede po aq ma exempted sa CSE. NC II Holder po aq ng Computer Hardware Servicing. thanks po!

    1. Pareho po tayo na CHC NCII holder pero sabi po nila ndi daw po tayo exempted sa pagkuha ng exam kaya kumuha na lng po ako Sub Prof.

      1. Note that skills eligibility are not equivalent/comparable to Career Service Sub-Professional and Sub-Professional eligibility. – Hindi sya equivalent to Pro and Sub-Pro eligibility. It can only be used as eligibility for Category 1 positions as stated above. If you will be applying to a position other than the positions that requires your acquired skills eligibility/NC, you shall need the necessary eligibility for that position.


  34. Good Morning po. Tanog ko lang po. Graduate po ako ng Information and Communication Technology major in Computer Technology and Programming. Passer din po ako ng National Certificate II n Computer Hardware Servicing. Exempted na po ba ako sa Civil Service Exam? Thank you po.

  35. hello, i am ariel, i am a penology officer eligible, i just want to ask if this eligibility can used to apply in other government service like Mun. Disaster Officer or what is the equivalence of this eligibility. thank you

    1. There is currently no law or circular that prescribes CSC exam passers of any suffix that they can use after their names. Besides it won’t really matter pag sa government ka na nagwowork where everyone else is an eligible.

      1. hello po sir/maam tanong ko lang Po sna.. member po ako ng sanguniang kabataan. Sk kagawad po ako last 2010-2013 kasama po ba ako sa exempted ?

  36. dagdag ko lang po s comment ko… graduate po ako last 2005 and may experience na po ako ng data encoder and CADD Operator and also Cashiering and Office work… exempted po ba? Computer Engineering Graduate po ako.. need ko po kc ng eligibility s inaaplayan ko for nup

  37. helo po.. im honey graduate po ako ng computer engineering s ndu, now ko lng po nalaman na exempted po s cs eligibility ang course ko at nging barangay volunter din po ako… pwde nyo po ba ako tulungan mkkuha ng eligibility? anu po ang requirements?please need ko… tnx

  38. I am an industrial engineering graduate w/masters diploma in management engineering,am I exempted in taking civil service exam,what are the requirement if I am qualified?please enlighten me I will really appreciate it a lot…thanks and God bless…

  39. Good day po.

    i am a registered professional teacher tanong ko lang po ang licence po ba ng teacher ay equal po ba sa mga eligibilities? kasi gusto ko mag work sa ibang sektor ng gobyerno.

  40. Hi have a good day ask lang po ako may aquaculture nc2 ako last 2015 n 36 units earned a masteral pwd ako makakuha eligibility?

  41. hello po.. ask lang sana ako..sk kagawad po ako before..am i exempted for civil service exam? but i graduated LAT 2012..bsba mm

  42. Good Day po. Ask ko lang graduate po ako ng Information & Communication Technology (ICT). then may NC II Computer Hardware Services ako fron TESDA. Eligible po sya for CSC? Please reply.

    Thank you so much and God bless.

      1. Undergraduate po ako ng BSBA major in FM 3rd year po natapos ko ask ko lang po kung pwede ako magtake ng CS EXAM ? Thanks po 🙂

  43. Hi po, Ask ko lng po if I am still eligible for civil service. I am graduate of BSHRM (magna cum laude). Never knew the perks of it. Hindi ko ho kasi binigyan ng pansin yun eh until some of my friends and family kept on asking me about it. I graduated on 2014. Hoping for your response Thanks.

    1. Yes. You may call the Examination, Recruitment and Selection Office of the Civil Service Commission at the ff. numbers for more details: Tel. # 951-2578; 931-8163
      Fax # 931-4138

    2. Hi
      same ko situation mo
      graduate ko cum laude ( political science )
      Di na ko nag take csc ..inasikaso ko na lang doc.
      then ayon i have certification of my csc eligibility

      1. tanong ko lang po, san ba pwedeng mag apply kpg eligible kna. nkapasa kc ako ng subprof last oct. 2015 e wala pa nmn akong mapag aplayan. Thank you.

    I’m a gradaue of agriculture major in animal science. nag take po ako ng NC II in Animal Production. pwede po ba na e convert ito sa civil service eligibility?

    Thank you very much po

    I am waiting po for a positive reply .

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *