Who are exempted to take the Civil Service Exam?

Who are exempted to take the Civil Service Exam in the Philippines? You can acquire civil service eligibility even without taking the CS exam if you are on the following lists.

A lot of readers have been asking this question, so I decided to make a post about it and include here the list of exempted Civil Service exam takers.

According to the Civil Service Commission, there are eight different eligibility under special laws. You may not need to take the CS exam anymore if you have been granted any of the following entitlements:

Note that some categories are not the same or equivalent as the Professional and Sub-professional eligibility. Also, note that different eligibility has appropriate government position levels because every specific job in the government has different eligibility requirements.

exempted in civil service exam philippines

The Following are Exempted to Take the Civil Service Exam in the Philippines

Bar and Board Exam passers:

  • Bar Exam Passers – if you passed the Bar exam conducted by the Supreme Court
  • Board Exam – if you passed the board exam or licensure exam given by the PRC

Under this list, you should be required for appointment to positions practicing your profession, have completion of bachelor’s degree and have professional license. Read more at RA 1080.

Honor Graduates:

Under PD No. 907, these are college honor graduates such as:

  • Summa cum laude
  • Magna cum laude
  • Cum laude

Electronic Data Processing Specialists:

Under CSC resolution 90-083, these are those who passed the proficiency test or training course given by the National Computer Center for Computer Programming, System Analysis and Design, Java, MS Access and Visual Basic.

This eligibility is suitable for computer related job positions in the government such as IT/Management Information System Group,Data Encoder, Data Machine Operator, Auxiliary Machine Operator, Data Encoder-Controller, Computer Programmer, Information Systems Analyst, and to other positions determined by the CSC.

Scientific and Technological Specialists:

Under PD 997, these are persons with highly technical education recognized by CHED with specializations in any of the following scientific and mathematical fields:

  1. Natural Sciences
    • Astronomy
    • Astrophysics
    • Biological Sciences
    • Biology (S & T)
    • Microbiology
    • Botany
    • Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
    • Ecology
    • Physical Anthropology
    • Marine Biology
    • Zoology
    • Geological Sciences
    • Archeology
    • Geophysics
    • Paleontology
    • Seismology
    • Meteorology
    • Oceanography
    • `Physics/Applied Physics
  2. Engineering Sciences
    • Biological Engineering
    • Manufacturing Engineering
    • Ceramic Engineering
    • Materials Engineering
    • Computer Engineering
    • Mechatronics Engineering
    • Food Engineering
    • Petroleum Engineering
    • Geothermal Engineering
    • Railway Engineering
    • Industrial Engineering
    • Textile Engineering
    • Nuclear Engineering
  3. Mathematics and Information and Communication Technology
    • Applied Mathematics
    • Computer Science
    • Information Technology
    • Pure Mathematics
    • Statistics
  4. Other Disciplines
    • Environmental Science
    • Food Science

Skills Eligibility – Categories I & II:

Under CSC MC 11, section 1996, as amended, these people may be granted skills eligibility:

Note that skills eligibility are not equivalent/comparable to Career Service Sub-Professional and Sub-Professional eligibility.

  • Category I includes TESDA skills test passers
  • Category II includes completion of 1 year very satisfactory actual work performance under temporary status of appointment

Veteran Preference Rating:

Under Executive Order 790, 10 points may be added to the failed exam of a veteran, or his/her spouse, or any of their children. Failed exam such as:

  • Career Service Professional or Sub-professional
  • Fire Officer
  • Penology Officer

Barangay Officials:

Under RA No. 7160, this includes:

  • Elective Barangay Officials: Barangay Captain, regular Sangguniang Barangay Members, and Sangguniang Kabataan Chairmen
  • Appointive Barangay Officials: Barangay Treasurers, and Barangay Secretaries who were appointed by the duly elected Punong Barangay.

These persons must be considered suitable for appointment to first level positions in the career service including those in the Fire and Jail Bureaus, except positions determined by the Commission.

Barangay Health Workers Eligibility:

Under RA 7883, these people are local health workers of the barangay and has completed at least 2 years of college degree and 5 years of continuous and satisfactory service as an accredited BHW. The BWH is suitable for first level positions in the government service except for categories classified by the Commission.

Barangay Nutrition Scholars:

Under PD 1569, this is granted for barangay-based volunteer workers who have at least 2 years of continuous satisfactory nutrition services and related activities required by the commission.

This is suitable for first level first level eligibility and may be considered for appointment to positions which do not require written examination, provided the appointee meets the education, training, experience, and other requirements of the position.

In order to have the certificate of eligibility, you must file your application to claim it at the CSC office by submitting the requirements.

320 thoughts on “Who are exempted to take the Civil Service Exam?”

  1. Anu po equivalent eligibility sa civil service pag Electronics Technician board passer, is it professional or sub-pro?

  2. I’ve been working in the GOCC for 20yrs now. I havent took a Civil Service Exam. My question is am I qualified to have a Civil Service Eligibity, having my lenght of service in the government as my main requirement.

  3. Hi mam,
    Ask ko lang po, what if nkagrad ako 2014 as cum laude, kaso hndi po ako nag submit for HGE, pwde pa po ba ko mag submit this year? Thank you

  4. Good day!

    I am a passer of CSE, Police Officer Entrance taken last March 29, 1998. I just want to ask if this eligibility is also appropriate for any Second level position in any government office?

    MC no16 -2000, in a resolution states that PO1 Ent, taken July 5, 1998 on wards is appropriate for 2nd level position.

    Please kindly acknowledge.

    Thank you .

    Ramil N. Damian

  5. Hello po. Nakapasa na po ako sa csc professional level pero 81 lang at 82 ang required for commission ship. Problema batay sa csc hindi na PWD mag retake

  6. Good day po admin,
    Graduate po aq ng Bachelor in Agricultural Technology and I have a units in education, LET passer po ako na ang major ko po ay Agriculture and Fishery Arts, at present nagtuturo po aq sa public school, ngayon po may plano po akong mag-apply as Municipal Agriculture Officer dito sa aming bayan, one of the qualification is RA 1080 (agriculturist). pwede ko po bang magamit ang aking RA 1080 sa LET to become Municipal Agriculture Officer? anu po ang RA na nagsasabi na pwede kong gamitin ang pagiging LETpasser passer ko, kung meron po?
    Maraming salamat po in advance

  7. @Civil Service Commission
    Good day po ask lang ako kung dito sa amin sa Capiz province gina grant po ng CSC provincial offices yung Skills Eligibility, hindi po kasi ako pinansin nung nag inquire ako.
    patulong po kung ano yung requirements at proseso para magrant po ng CSC yung skills eligibility category I or II.
    TESDA NC II Holder po ako at my Industry Experience na ng 2yrs po. Salamat

    • 1 March 2021 – Passers of bar and licensure board examinations are automatically considered civil service eligibles, the Civil Service Commission (CSC) said.

      Republic Act No. 1080, as amended, declares that “the bar examinations and the examinations given by the various boards of examiners of the Government are declared as civil service examinations”.

      Thus, pursuant to the said law, passers of the bar examination conducted by the Supreme Court (SC) and licensure board examinations conducted by the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) are automatically considered as civil service eligibles.

      Since 2014, this now includes marine deck and engine officers licensed by the Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA), as the examination, licensing, and certification system for said positions was transferred from the PRC to MARINA by virtue of Republic Act No. 10635.

      Likewise, passing the Shari’a Bar Examinations shall also be considered as eligibility.

      Passers of the said examinations no longer have to file an application for the grant of civil service eligibility with the CSC.

  8. Gud pm po ask lng po barangay treasurer po alo dito samin ano po ang mga requirements para makakuha ng subpro na eligibility salamat po

  9. Hello poh ask q lng poh RME LICENSE poh aq pero 4 year grad aq bachelor degree equivalent poh b un ng 2nd level eligibility tama poh b? At kung same lng ng equivalent pede ba aq mag apply sa government agency like bfp,pnp or bjmp?
    Slamat poh.

  10. Hello po.. tanong ko lng po graduate po ako ng Education BEED at sa ngayon po ai 5 yrs na akong Brgy. Secretary ,pwde ko po kayang magamit ang aking eligibility para makapagturo sa public school? Sana po masagot nyo ang tanong ko.. Hod bless po

  11. gud pm po.. 6 yrs. na po ako sa aming local government pero contractual pa din po ako… ilang beses na po ako take ng cs. andami na mga 10. pero d po ako nakakapasa ng civil service… 51 yrs. old na po ako.. may magna carta po b sa mga d nakakapasa ng civil service.

  12. Good afternoon po ma’am/sir paano po yung mga matatagal na sa serbisyo na gaya ko 24 years in service pero wala po ako eligibility ano po ba ang pwede sa amin na makuha sa civil service. thank you and god bless

  13. Hi panu po kaya kaming mga walang eligibility. Pero casual kami for 5 years in service pwede na kaya kami makakuha ng eligibility sa civil service

  14. Graduated po ako ng BS Computer Engineering at may Computer System Servicing at Technical Drafting NC II po ako.
    Ang tanung ko po.
    •Exempted na po ba ako sa CSE EXAM?
    •Pwed ko po ba e Convert NC II ko as CSE Eligibility?

    • Yes po. as stated in RA 1080 na all The bar examinations and the examinations given by the VARIOUS BOARDS of examiners of the Government are declared as civil service examinations.

      yun pong salitang “VARIOUS BOARDS of examiners of the Government” kasama npo dyan yung PRC,Supreme Court,MARINA, at kung anu pang government agencies na nagbibigal ng professional na licensya na related sa iyong 4 year na kurso.

  15. Maam follow.up question lng.. anong mang yayari sa sub.prof eligibility pag natpus q ang 4 years course? Kinakailangan q pa bang mag exam ulit para sa prof eligibility ? Or it will converted already?

      • If Board Exam or Licensure sa PRC po
        If Bar Exam sa Supreme Court po
        If sa Marines sa MARINA po

        CSE prof pa ito mga ito as long as Bachelors Degree kayo

        By the way yung RA 1080 di po yan kinukuha. Batas po ito na nagsasabi na ang Board at Bar exam ay kinikilalang Civil Service Exam din.

      • Sir/Ma’am, former phil. Airfoce po ako for 10 years. Considered po ba na exempted nko sa civil service or pwde ko ipa convert iyon sa civil service. Im currently working in our municipal as job order. Advance thanks for the comment/advise.

  16. Good day Sir/Mdm.

    Paano po makakaavail said CSC MC II, Bachelor of Science in computer Science grad po ako. Present employee po ako ng isang LGU as Administrative Aide III SG III, 17 years in service under Accounting Office.. I hope you may help me..

    Thank you and God Bless.

  17. Sir Madam,

    I took CSE professional 2 times but failed. I’m planning to retake an exam this coming October 2019. I would like to ask help from you if you can send me, the copy of reviewer. and what are the tips that I need to know to pass the exam. i hope you could help me thank you

  18. Good morning.. Pano po Maka avail said CSC MC 11 (data encoder) computer science graduate po ako.. Present employment ko po is under a job contract.. Thank you po

  19. Hi Good day!

    I just wanna ask, I am a graduate of BS Electronics and Communications Engineering, is it acceptable to apply for EDPS or Electronic Data Processing Specialists illegibility? BSECE was not included in the provision but the scope were almost covered those technical courses mentioned such as bscom eng, bsIT and engineering. I’ve in the field of IT education for almost 13 years with Masters’ Degree. Is it considered or not? Than you.

  20. Good day Sir/Maam.
    Isa po akong seafarers. At MARINA passer po ako for Officer in Charge of an Engineering Watch. Ask ko lang po exempted po ba ako sa civil service exam. Kasi po yong Licensure exam po ng Seafarers ay nasa MARINA wala na po sa PRC.
    Thank you Maam/Sir. GOD BLESS.

  21. Good day Sir/Madam
    Ask po saan pwede makita yung CHED acredited school kung dikuna kailangan magtest sa CSC…
    kc may latin honor po ako para makapag apply po ako ng honor elegibility

  22. Exempted po ba sa Civil Service Exam ang Graduate ng Doctor of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering (PhD-ME) sa DeLa Salle University? Ang Master’s Degree ko po ay Master Of Engineering Program major in Mechanical Engineering (MEP-ME) sa University of Southeastern Philippines (USeP), Davao City….

  23. Maam gud eve po . Ako po si maynard . Sana mabasa niyo rin po itong tanong ko graduate po ako ng BSIT major in electrical.. nc11 holder po ako den prc lisence din po RME .. tanong ko lng kung esemted poba ako sa CSC. pwede po bang iconvert sa cs ung eligibility ko..

    • RME is considered equivalent to a first level eligibility and is appropriate for positions requiring the said eligibility/CSC Sub Professional eligibility.

      • Sir ?pwd parin ba mag exam kahit rme passer na??kasi gs2 ko pong mag apply sa pnp degree holder po ako tapos off handling heavy equipment machine and out address here is assistant Engineer thank you and God Bless

  24. For those who have a Masteral Degree (example MBA major in General Management) can it be converted to civil service eligibility? What level?

  25. Board passer po ako pwede pa dn bang magtake ng CSE? Applicant po kase ako sa PNP at sabi nila may bearing daw ang multiple eligibility.

    • Yes. You can take the civil service even after only two years of college (as I did). The latest update of the CSC has actually removed the educational level as a requirement for taking the CS exam. This means even high school graduates can take it.

  26. Hey Good Day to all.

    Plano ko kasi talaga magwork sa Government. Kasi mag reresign na ako dito work ko here in abroad. I just wanna be with my family.
    I am a BS Computer Science Major in Internet Engineering and a Telecom Technician here for 6 years.
    May mga certificates din ako related to computer and programmings.

    So, still do I need to take the exam?

    thanks and God bless to all

  27. nakapasa po ako sa NC III visual graphics design TVET ng tesda and mag 3 yrs. na po akong JO sa govt institution puede po ba ako ma exempt sa civil service exam?? Thank you and have a good night…

  28. Hi sir, graduate po ako 2yearmidwifery last 2013 and had my prc elegibiliy 2014 and also graduated 4year degree last year, exempted po ba ako na magtake ng csc?

    • Yes po. Pero subprof yung eligibility nyo sa medwifery kasi two years lng yun kahit na nakapagtapos pa kayo ng another two year course. kasi yung PRC license nyo po related lng po yun sa two year course nyo. wala po sya connection don sa 2nd course nyo.

  29. Graduate po ako ng IT Digital Arts Kailangan ko po ba mag take ng civil Service kung papasok ako ng government o exempted ung course ko kahit sa government ako mg apply

  30. Good day!

    I would like to ask If I am exempted to take the Civil Service Examination? I am a BS Computer Science Graduate in one of the University in Cebu. I’ve been working now for almost 5 years
    I have plans to serve in the public(GOVERNMENT), If I have chance. I would like to to ask If they require a Civil Service Passers? or Do I need to take the Exam?

    Thank you and GOD BLESS!

    • You willl need to pass the CSC Professional Level or the CSC Sub-Professional Level examinations, depending upon the specific position that you are planning to apply.

    • Yes, you are exempted and you can get your eligibility certificate provided that you’ve been in your chosen field involving yourself in research and in teaching for 3 continuous years

  31. good day!
    i have my civil service eligibility pursuant to the provision of CSC MC.#11 S. 1996 (category -DATA ENCONDER) can i use this for government entry like for example for Senior High? Thank you and God bless!

    • I’m electrician with nc2 and nc3 holder with 3 years experience in plant electrician can i get civil Service eligibility?


Leave a Comment