We made some English Grammar and Correct Usage tests here including sample questions with answer keys, sentences including correct and incorrect ones. Passing this part of the examination will help you big time in taking other exams as well because correct grammar is so important. We provided tips and helpful lessons you need to pass this English exam.
Important Tips to Ace the English Test for Grammar and Correct Usage
If you know and understand Correct Usage of Verbs, Nouns, Pronouns, Adjectives, Adverbs and grammar, you will surely pass the English exam. It will also help you in answering the other parts like Numerical Reasoning, Logic, Analogy, Reading and Comprehension since they are all in English.
Don’t worry, we will give the blueprint and the best tips here.
Understanding Verbs – their Forms and Usage
Verbs are action words. Their main usage is simple to remember.
Add S when talking about Singular Nouns (he, she, it, everyone, everybody, no one, nobody, either, neither, someone, somebody, anyone, anybody)
- Taylor writes her original lyrics.
- Harry dreams of being a wizard.
- She wants to marry you.
- Nobody cares for your Facebook status.
- Everyone knows this is the best reviewer.
Don’t add S when talking about Plural Nouns like – I, You, We, They and other plural nouns
- I love her to the moon and back.
- You care for me more than you should.
- We review the CSE pointers to ace the coming exam.
- They watch the concert to see Justin.
- Her children study together every night.
- Many students volunteer for the show.
Add D or ED to regular verbs, used when talking about the past.
- Cathy baked a chocolate muffin for me last night.
- The farmers received their first check yesterday.
Irregular verbs, change their spelling:
- give – gave – Last Christmas, I gave you my heart.
- write – wrote – I wrote a letter yesterday when I was absent.
Use Has (if singular noun) or Have (if plural noun) following the past participle form of the verb.
- She has written the most romantic poem. – since “she” is a singular noun, use HAS + Past participle form of verb
- They have written the funniest story. – since “they” is a plural noun, use HAVE + Past participle form of the verb
Understanding Pronouns and their Antecedents
Pronouns are words that substitute nouns. Every pronoun has antecedents and they must be near each other.
- Every weekend, Sheila practices her piano lessons in her house. (Correct)
- Every weekend, Sheila practices piano lessons in her house. (Incorrect)
Understanding Prefix and Suffix
Prefixes are syllables attached at the beginning of root words.
Suffixesare syllables attached at the end of root words.
Examples and meanings:
Synonyms and Antonyms
- Synonyms are words with the same meaning.
- Antonymsare words with opposite meaning.
English Verbal Ability Sample Questions with Answers
Answers are already highlighted.
Instruction: Choose the correct answer for each question.
1. Which sentence uses “famish” correctly?
- After the straight exam, I felt too exhausted and famished to eat my favourite foods.
- I could eat a horse, I am famish now.
- I famished my stomach next time you treat me to a meal out.
- I will bring lots of pizza, that’s a famish.
2. Priscila _______ rather not invest her savings in the stock market.
- has to
3. Did you have any problem ______ our house?
- to search
- for searching
4. I hope you don’t mind _____ joining you.
- to be
- I had been
- that I may
5. Most basketball players are 6 ____ tall or more.
6. These children _____ how to improvise more props for the play.
7. The company will upgrade ______ computer systems next week.
8. Clara ___________ three thousand words for her essay.
- have wrote
- has wrote
- have written
- has written
9. You have too many _______ but few time to prove you’re right.
10. Neither Sarah nor Tina _______ the crime yesterday.
11. You do like going to the party alone. _____ you?
12. We had our house _______ in yellow.
- to paint
13. He has been exercising but his immune system was steadily _________.
14. I was ______ that the weather would be sunny and we would be able to enjoy our swimming.
15. I think it’s not a great idea. I totally ______.
16. So many ___________ I found in the library, now I’m ready to report.
17. My grandpa always feed his flock of _______ early in the morning.
18. Happy memories are always remembered, not ________.
19. Flight Z735 ______ yesterday. 350 passengers died in that accident.
20. There is a ________ message when you look closely at her painting.
Read the next part or go to the whole reviewer:
© Copyright All Rights are Reserved. No part of this page can be reproduced without the permission of the author