Are you the type of person who is interested and with great passion for troubleshooting and repairing various electronic equipment and gadgets?
Well then, Electronics Technician (ECT) could be the best profession of your choice.
What is Electronics Technician?
Electronics technician repairs, troubleshoot, designs, develops, tests, manufactures, and installs electronic equipment such as communication equipment, medical monitoring devices, navigational equipment, and other computers. Electronics technicians can be the field representatives for manufacturers to install, operate, and maintain sophisticated equipment.
What is ECT Board Exam in the Philippines?
Electronics Technician (ECT) board exam is the licensure exam conducted by the Professional Regulation Commission for aspiring electronics technician in the Philippines. All aspiring electronics technicians should at least be a graduate of a minimum two-year Associate, Technician, Trade of Vocational course in Electronics, or has completed at least 3rd Year BS ECE, or a graduate of BS Computer Engineering and have taken the subject “ECE Laws and Ethics.”
What are the Eligibility Requirements in Taking the ECT Board Exam?
You can take the ECT board exam if you meet the following requirements:
- Graduate of a minimum two-year Associate, Technician, Trade of Vocational course in Electronics or has completed at least 3rd year BS ECE
- Graduate of BS Computer Engineering who have taken the subject of “ECE Laws and Ethics”
Those eligibility requirements for taking the Licensure Exam are necessary to ensure the quality of the workforce produced. These are not obstacles to pursue your desired profession. Instead, they prepare and equip you with essential skills and knowledge to further advance your passion.
How to Apply for ECT Licensure Exam in the Philippines?
- Prepare all exam requirements
- Register a LERIS Account online
- Select the ECT Licensure Examination tab
- Plan and schedule an appointment with PRC
- Pay your ECT exam application fee
- Attend your PRC appointment and bring all the documents required
Applying for a professional license has been made easy and accessible by the Professional Regulation Commission. Just visit the PRC’s Licensure Examination and Registration Information System (LERIS) and follow each instruction to begin the online exam application.
Most importantly, to take note of your PRC account’s log-in credentials for a future renewal of a professional license.
What are the Requirements to Apply for the ECT Licensure Exam in the Philippines?
- PSA Birth Certificate
- PSA Marriage Certificate (for married female applicants)
- Transcript of Records with scanned picture and remarks “For Board Examination Purposes”
- Payment of P900.00 – complete
- P450.00 – conditioned/removal
*One removal exam only, period not specified
It is advisable to start preparing all the needed application documents early to avoid all unnecessary troubles brought by collecting all application papers at the last minute.
ECT Licensure Exam Coverage and Scope in 2023:
- Basic Mathematics
- Simple calculation and application of Arithmetic, Algebra, and Geometry
- Ohm’s Law
- Calculations for Resistance, Current, Voltage, and Power for AC and DC Circuits
- Electronic/Electrical Machine or Equipment
- Description and operating principles for Motors, Generators, transformers, consumer Electronics appliances, Electronics and Communications Equipment, etc.
- Electronic/Electrical Component
- Identification, Uses, functions of resistors, trimmer, rheostat, heater, thermistor, varistor, capacitors, varicap, transistors, inductor, Integrated Circuits, Sensors, diodes, fuses, relays, switches, reed switch, thermostat, circuit breaker, limit switch, etc.
- Maintenance and Repair
- Description of the procedures in the Maintenance of Electrical/Electronic Machinery or equipment.
- Philippine Electrical Code
- Republic Act No. 9292 – Electronics Engineering Law of 2004
ECT Licensure Examination Schedule in 2023
This schedule is according to the 2023 Licensure Exams Schedule released by the PRC. ECT board exam is usually given twice a year.
|Date||Place||Opening of Online Application||Deadline in Filing of Application|
|April 21, 2023||NCR, Baguio, Cagayan de Oro, Calapan, Cebu, Davao, Iloilo, Koronadal, Legazpi, Lucena, Pagadian, Pampanga, Rosales, Tacloban, Tuguegarao, Zamboanga, and Palawan||Jan. 19, 2023||March 20, 2023|
|Oct. 24, 2023||NCR, Baguio, Cagayan de Oro, Cebu, Davao, Iloilo, Koronadal, Legazpi, Lucena, Pagadian, Pampanga, Rosales, Tacloban, Tuguegarao, and Zamboanga||July 21, 2023||Sept. 25, 2023|
Is ECT Licensure Exam hard?
ECT licensure exam is very challenging and but not too tricky if you mastered your electronics skills and technical knowledge by heart. Although this profession is not well known by the large population, the electronics technician is an essential building block of our industrial economy.
How to Pass the ECT Licensure Exam in the Philippines?
The passing rate for the ECT Licensure Examination is 70%. That means you must get a general average of 70% or above from all the subjects covered in the examination. If you got a score below 70% but not lower than 60%, you may then take one removal examination. However, you may only do the removal examination once.